Sunday, July 3, 2016

Batman v Superman Ultimate Edition Short Review

I'll start with something pretty short and that is my review Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Ultimate Edition, which came out last Tuesday.

Now I've already gave a review of the theatrical version, which you can check in the video description. So instead, I'm just gonna say what does the Ultimate Edition has that the Theatrical version hasn't? Well, there are only three.

The first are the extra scenes, which are pretty much just that - extra scenes. I find nothing in the additional 30 minutes of the film that made the narrative any better, let alone the film itself. By comparison, the Extended Version of The Return of The King featured a scene on what became of Saruman after he was attacked and defeated by Treebeard and the Ents. A very neat addition, indeed. Nothing of the sort can be found in Batman v Superman: Ultimate Edition, nor did it explain why Batman isn't the Great Detective in this film that he didn't figure out Lex's plot, among other plot issues the movie has.

Second is the R-rated part. Everyone says it's due to the extra violence, which, well for me, it's not THAT violent. If violence is supposed to be what gave it the R-rating, I expect a gorefest, or at least the same level of violence from the Quentin Tarantino movies like Kill Bill or Grindhouse. The violence in this film is not even close. I mean, if there's anything in the film I would consider giving it an R-rating, it's because one person in the film gave the F-word. That's it.

The third and perhaps what I really hated the most in this edition is that it made the film more Hi-Def. Yes, it made the movie a whole lot clearer to watch until you get to the CG fight scenes, especially the final fight. Because it's High Definition, the CG effects of the fight against Doomsday becomes even MORE obvious from a visual perspective, that it ends up looking like you're watching a fight scene from Mortal Kombat. If Warner Bros. spend $250 million on this film, at least make the CG scenes more believable. Even Warcraft did a better job at the CG fight scenes it was around $90 million less.

Other critics say the Ultimate Edition would make those who didn't like the film enjoy it because it is more complete and the details expanded. That did not work for me. In fact, I think it made the film worse than the Theatrical version. I most likely won't say it's worse if this version was presented at theaters instead, but it won't make much of a difference regardless and I'd still give it the same rating. Now, I just don't see the appeal of the Ultimate Edition, especially if you plan to watch it in High Definition. It's just not worth it and you're better off with the Theatrical version unless you're a really, really, really die-hard fan of this film. On a scale of 1 to 5, I give Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice - Ultimate Edition, a 2 out of 5.

No comments:

Post a Comment