Thursday, January 7, 2016

Steven Universe - Message Received Review

"Message Received" continues where the last episode left off. Steven is heartbroken that Peridot remains loyal to Yellow Diamond and is determined to finish her mission of destroying the Earth. Steven then grabs the diamond Peridot acquired back at the moon, which gives a direct line to Yellow Diamond and chaos ensues. I know it's supposed to be a bit of an action sequence, but I was just laughing throughout the whole ordeal.

We then finally get to see Yellow Diamond for the first time, along with her Pearl, which I dig because of how her persona is far different from Crystal Gem Pearl, and the one from Blue Diamond. I've actually seen Yellow Diamond from the preview so all I can say is that she's DEFINITELY a giraffe with that weird long neck of hers. As Peridot is about to give her report, she suddenly have a change of heart (do Gems have hearts? I don't know) and proposes to stop the Cluster from destroying the Earth. This infuriates Yellow Diamond to which Peridot tells her off and terminates the conversation.

In Mission Impossible fashion, the diamond communicator is to self-destruct in a few seconds, of which Garnet quickly disposes of it. Everyone then celebrates Peridot now officially being part of the Crystal Gems - whether she likes it or not.

For an episode where everything comes to a head, it turned out to be amazingly quite funny and entertaining. There's also lots of images in the episode that will definitely be used as memes. In fact, as I was doing this review, I've seen much of social media already making use of images of Yellow Diamond and the Yellow Pearl by the hundreds - I kid you not.

All and all, I'd pick this as the best of this week's Stevenbomb. Definitely an enjoyable episode.

No comments:

Post a Comment